Monday, March 29, 2010

What Happens in Vegas...

Congratulations to Pic (Mike) for his strong race and win! Kind of makes me worried because he was able to beat me by six minutes after signing up at the last minute and without much training. But I echo Pic's (Greg's) remarks when he said, "I want a rematch!"
The "Showdown at Sundown" at the Las Vegas Lake was a great race. We enjoyed the ritzy atmosphere of Vegas, the warmer temperatures for this time of year, and a half-way point to meet up with Greg. I think we found ourselves an annual tradition. We all agreed though that it would be more complete if Doug was there...just saying.
I thought I had no business doing this race since I really hadn't trained properly. I expected to do a lot worse, but outside of some tough cramps in T2 coming off the bike and not being able to (Picante Sauce) "pick up the pace" during the run - it really did end up going a lot better than imagined.

Some highlights include:
  • Greg's goggles malfunctioning and having to swim the 1500 meters without them - I can't even imagine that!
  • The X-Terra-ish difficulty of the hills on the course . . . not messing around down there!
  • Greg passed me during T2 with his consistently fast bike time - so the only tap on the head this race was when I caught him again on the run.
  • Mike taking the lead out on the swim (posing for the pictures taken by our professional team photographer, Jennifer) and never looking back, never getting passed, and winning the day!
Really though, it just feels great to be racing again and trying to get back in shape. Also, to spend time with Greg & Kellie, visit the Heaps Foundation, and have the Parentals there to support us.

Recap:
  1. Mike Snarr (2:40:56) - smok'n fools!
  2. Sam Snarr (2:46:59)
  3. Greg Snarr (2:51:35)
  4. Doug Snarr (DNS - Did not start) - You'll have to start racing if you want to get out of 4th place!
Rematch - May 15th???

No comments: