Monday, February 7, 2011

Resolution to Save Money!!!

This year Sam and I decided we would switch up the usual New Years Resolution of promising to do something at the beginning of the year, later to find that we have broken it a few months or even weeks later. We decided for the year 2011 each of us would create one goal each month that we would focus on. For me January was to save money. It ended up being a ton of fun!

Looking over where Sam and I have been spending our money the past 6 months was a little hard to look at at first. One of our largest expenses was food and toiletries (basically everything you would buy at Walmart and Costco) which was $500.00 in the month of December. Now I know what you are thinking, Sam does eat a lot of ice cream, but $500 is TOO much for two people. Granted we ended up doing a few Secret Santa's that also ended up in that category.

So how did we choose to save our money? Coupons!!!

You may have seen the show on TLC about Super Couponers. It shows people with carts stacked full of name brand items which originally cost over $600.00, after these coupon ladies are finished they walk away paying a little over $2.00.

Sam and I have a good friend named Annalisa. She is amazing with coupons, so much so she should be on the TLC show! Her website slavetosave is devoted to couponing and great deals. She told me a little bit about her couponing ways and for a bit there I was skeptical, thinking she probably bought a ton of stuff she normally wouldn't have and ended up buying things she would never use just because it was a "good deal."

I got so intrigued, I decided I would make couponing my goal for January and see if it could really make a difference for Sam and me. I must say I got a little excited about it!

The Result (one month from starting):

This morning I had the day off, so I headed to Rite Aid early. This is what I scored!


(Sorry for the terrible photo, I misplaced my camera, so this is from my touch)


2 Tubs Lysol Disinfecting Wipes (80 count)
1 KY Yours and Mine
2 pkgs. Venus Disposable Razors for Her (3 count)
2 Exedrin Extra Strength
1 Dayquil LiquidCaps
1 NyQuil LiquidCaps
2 Lysol All Purpose Bathroom Cleaners
5 Lysol Disinfectant Sprays
2 pkgs. Halls Cough Drops
1 pkg Lindt Truffles
2 rolls Mentos (the fresh maker)
1 Finesse Mouse
1 Finesse Hairspray
1 Garnier Fructis Conditioner
1 Garnier Fructis Mousse
1 box Cheese Its (my weakness)
2 Lysol Fabric Mists
1 Sally Hansen Polish Remover
1 Borghese Nail Polish
2 pkgs. Betty Crocker Cookies
2 pkgs. Betty Crocker Cake Mix
2 pkgs. Betty Crocker Brownies
2 pkgs. Betty Crocker Chocolate Frosting

Total before coupons: $131.83
Total after coupons: $21.21

That's right, I didn't mistype anything! I saved $110.00 in one trip! Sam is even getting into it, last week he bought 6 tubs of Dreyer's ice cream for $.16 each! I'm positive it will be devoured within a couple of weeks.

I think it's going to be hard for us to stop with these prices! The crazy thing is after only a month I have a stockpile of cleaners, deodorants, toothpastes, and snacks to last us through at least the next 6 months, and I spent less than our total for the month of December.

Also, there were $48.00 worth of coupons that printed out at the bottom of my receipt. These are coupons I can basically spend on whatever I wish at Rite Aid. Trust me I'll be able to find something to buy!

Now if only I can have this much success with my February goal of exercising. :)




2 comments:

Sam said...

Incredible!

Stacy and Mike said...

I did coupons for a long time, saved lots of money and then when Albertsons changed it seems like there were not the same deals. Looks like I shouldn't have been so hasty to stop. Do you take lots of papers of do it online?